14 July 2016

Film Review - Boys on Film 15: Time and Tide





Stunning, emotional and daring.

The boys are back! In this new entry into the iconic British and international LGBT short film collection series Time and Tide is the stunning new edition to hit the film scene. With emerging new talent and tackling some very personal themes and issues. Boys On Film 15:Time and Tied is quite possibly one of the best LGBT films to come out in recent years.

The film is a collaboration of numerous Gay themed short films highlighting issues young men go through during their life. Weather your just out, or looking for love, weather you have fallen in love or just lost love this is the collection for you.

The film begins with a touching and emotional short film CLOSETS - Directed by Lloyd Eyre-Morgan. This light hearted Drama follows the story of Henry a teenager dealing with his sexuality in 1986. Hiding in his closet after a confrontation with his mother who is very much against everything and does not want to accept him for who he is, Henry decides to hide in his closet where he is taken through time to his same bedroom 30 years later and meets Ben. Ben is also dealing with sexuality issues, but this time his mother is very open and accepting, and it is bullies at school Ben worries about. Their friendship is short and sweet but no matter what decade your in sexuality will still be an issue. This bond and their want for acceptance brings them together in so many ways.

PUTTING ON THE DISH – Directed by Brian Fairbairn and Karl Eccleston. Is the next short in the collection and is a witty comedy set in 1962 about two men who strike up a conversation on a park bench. Using slang to describe there sexual experiences. Very witty and some what odd.

G’OCLOCK – Directed by Mitchell Marion Is the next short film in the collection. This is the first more, slightly darker film in Time and Tide following the story of Alex a Gay Paramedic who meets a young, attractive young Spanish man at a chill out. Little does he know this interaction might be a little more dangerous than he could ever imagine. More on the thriller side this film certainly took Time and Tide to a more darker side of sexuality, which I really enjoyed. I think This short really explores a dark side to Sex, Drugs and alcohol and what it can do to you.

The next film in Time and Tide is the stunning NIGHTSTAND – Directed by Charlier Parham. A thriller about a young Gay man having an affair with a straight married man. Exploring the themes of lust and love and discretion. This short was one that I found was one that explored a theme that many people experience. I really enjoyed this short and is one of my favourites within the collection.

The fifth short film is such a gem of a film MORNING IS BROKEN – Directed by Simon Anderson. Dealing with the idea of being something different from everyone around you. I loved the theme of this film and that it really just shows how harsh it can be for men who can not accept who are they are or are scared to. Very powerful, and very moving.

SAUNA THE DEAD – Directed by Tom Frederic.

This was a pretty gripping horror short film that showcases that in a case of panic all prejudice is put to the side and there is only one thing on your mind, GET OUT! This was a great little horror short and I would for sure love to see this grow into a feature.

CROSSROAD – Directed by Leon Lopez
Crossroads is another one that tackles issues of confusion and sexual adventure. I loved this short film and relaly recommend it. I just loved this film so much stunning and so real to life!

DAWN – Directed by Jake Graf
I also found Dawn to be such a moving piece. I love every second of this short and found myself just wanting to see more. I can not believe in all seriousness how a collection of shorts can all be so great.

TROUSER BAR – Directed by Kristen Bjorn

This was a short I think was very unexpected. I enjoyed it and I think that it was totally at the same quality as the previous one. However it was not a favourite of mine sadly, although I enjoyed it.

I completely and utterly loved this collection of short films! I think that peccadillo done such an amazing job putting this together. They have fast become one of my favourite film companies. Being a gay man myself There was so much in these films I could relate to and I think that is why I feel the way I do about them.

By far my favourites were Closets and Nightstand, Nightstand is more my think I think it deals with something very powerful, and very much a problem that many gay men and gay women go through.

I just found Nightstand to be such a wonderfully made film. It really evoked a lot of emotion in me.
Crossroads is another of my favourites. As did Dawn such stunning work from all involved. I can not believe that there is not one short film on this collection that I can say one single negative about. Cross Roads is such a stunning piece as well and I think it’s one of those films that I can watch time and time again. The film seemed to do so well capturing the themes of sexual confusion and relaly had a sad toen to it although it was stunningly made and truly amazing. I think it was overall one that I feel was the most powerful and relatable.

I think that Closets as well is another very powerful piece and has so much that can be relatable for so many young men.

I think G’Oclock was a very important film. I deals with the dangers of sex, drugs and alcohol. Also deals with some pretty dark themes. I think this si a some what educational film, whule being quite sexy in the process. I don’t think its for the faint of heart though, as like I said it touches on some distressing themes.

Dawn was another stunner of a film and just was so real and true. I just can’t say enough.

I wish I could say more but I want everyone reading this to go and check the films out yourself. I can’t say to much without spoiling anything. Especially when I love the collection so much! I think there all stunning and wonderful.

I think that altogether these shorts were so great and just well thought through. I can not recommend this DVD enough! Released from Peccadillo pictures on August 22nd 2016 I am saying now go and get this DVD You will not regret it one bit!

★★★★★ | Ross Wilcock

Short Films, LGBT | UK, 2016 | 18 | Peccadillo Pictures | Dir.Leon Lopez, Lloyd Eyre-Morgan, Brian Fairbairn, Karl Eccleston, Mitchell Marion | Julie Hesmondhalgh, Philip Weddell, Leon Lopez, Amrou Al-Kadhi, Nicholas Gleaves | Buy: [DVD] | Watch Boys On Film at POUTFest | Picturehouse Central 20th July [book tickets, trailer, showtimes] |

No comments:

Post a Comment